Sunday, February 14, 2010

In the end... it's all worth it...

“Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.”
         -Albert Einstein


This week was the half-way mark for student teaching... I cannot believe how it has flown by.  Everyday I teach math, my math teacher seems to ask me the same thing every day... "Are you sure you want to do this?"  There are those moments where kids drive me crazy because they don't seem interested, there are those kids who call you "teacher" because they don't care to know you, and there are those kids who drive you crazy because they never turn their homework in and so they have an F in your class. 
BUT... then I think about those kids who tell you your class is their favorite, or the kids who come in before school, during lunch, and after school to ask for help.  There are those students who get excited because you made the class cookies, and there are those students who say hi to you at a basketball game when you are sitting all alone. But my favorite is when a student smiles because you ask them about the super bowl or tell them that they played great in their basketball game the night before.  It's when these moments happen that dealing with all the crazy kids is worth it. 
I definately do not want to be a teacher for the money... I want to be a teacher for the kids.  I want my students to know that each of them can succeed.  Through these past six weeks I have come to love teaching and getting to know each of my students. 

In the end... I tell him the same thing... there are those moments that make it all worth it :)

2 comments:

Ashley Webb said...

Kellie - you are making me seriously reconsider going back to school to be a teacher! I know you said there are a lot of hard things about it, but it still sounds so fun to me! I know those frustrating times and students must be difficult, but I'm glad you are finding the good in your job too! I miss you! :)

K&B Forever said...

Oh kellie..... I am soo happy for you!! That is so awesome that you are loving teaching! I knew you would be a great teacher! I bet some of those kids you just want to strangle but others kids are just awesome! :-) Well I am glad to hear that you are doing great and enjoying it! I can't believe you are almost done with your student teaching. That went by super fast! Well keep up the good work!!We need to get together sometime when you are done with your student teaching! Love you miss you girly!!