Friday, January 2, 2009

The story of how I broke my retainer...

So I broke my retainer about a month ago when I was taking it out of my mouth and it cracked. Well, coming home for christmas I was able to make an orthodontist appointment and in order for me to save some money and get a new retainer, i had to write a story about how it broke and make some kind of treat. I ended up making rice crispy treats, which I hope were good, and after making them the morning of my appointment, I came up with this thrilling story which is not true... but I had to make the story a little more exciting


My Passion for Baking...

Being a college student is not always easy. Yes, you have your freedom to do as you please, no curfew, and no parents, but it is up to you to be disciplined and learn how to cook and budget. Making seven dollars an hour at Wanda’s does not help you out at all either. Throughout my college experiences I have found ways to save money here and there, especially when it comes to food and having fun. My first rule is no eating fast-food unless necessary, which will happen once in a while, and my second is I cannot spend over twenty dollars a week on food.
Only being able to spend twenty dollars a week does not leave me with many options. Milk costs about three dollars and is gone by the end of the week and the same goes for cereal. Oh, and we cannot forget the fact that I love to bake, because that is where the story begins. I always make sure I have enough money for eggs and some chocolate chips, depending on the mood I am in for baking. Baking has become one of my biggest passions since I have moved away to Montana. Living in Montana, I have discovered there are more cattle than people in the entire state, so baking has always given me something to do.
When I bake I feel like I am flying, it relieves my stress and I just think about how I am about to make the most perfect cookies or cake. The best is afterwards when you look at the outcome and your roommates are all in line to get one. As they take a bite into that delicious looking pumpkin chocolate chip cookie I cannot help but smile as they tell me again and again how wonderful they are.
So why am I telling you this? Well, I love baking and baking leads to me losing and breaking my retainer. I remember it as though it happened just the other day. I was making my famous rice cripy treats, and was so excited to share them with everyone. Trying to make the rice crispy treats perfect, I remember taking my retainer out to just test them to see if there was enough marshmallows and butter. I don’t know how it happened, but somehow my retainer ended up falling in with the melted marshmallows and butter. I did not seem to notice it sinking to the bottom of the pan as I added the rice cripy cereal.
After I was done adding the needed amount of rice crispy cereal to the butter and marshmallows, I began to stir, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Once everything was stirred together, I began to lay the mixture on a pan, and to my surprise I saw a big clump of rice cripies. Not having a clue as to why there was a clump in my perfect rice crispy treats, I took a knife and tried to break the clump up, and to my dismay I discovered that the big clump really was my retainer. Because I had taken the knife and tried to break the clump apart, I ended up cracking and breaking my retainer. Needless to say, I ended up throwing away my perfect rice crispy treats and calling the orthodontist office to make an appointment for a new retainer.


By: Kellie Winn

No comments: